Sunday, March 2, 2014

Autopilot Off - Looking Up

Genre: late 90s/ early 00 pop punk. Think New Found Glory meets Fenix TX and you are basically there.

Where would I have heard of it: If you are like me you bought it because you confused the original band name, Cooter, with Custom, a band with some notoriety at the time. They started to get some buzz on the back of touring with Sum 41, MXPX, Goldfinger...everyone from that time period really. Then they got involved with a lawsuit with another pop punk band with the same name and a similar amount of fame. This pretty much killed their career, as it took a long time to resolve and by the time it had pop punk was over. They went on indefinite hiatus in 2005, reformed in 2011, put out an album, and went on hiatus again in 2012.

Anything of note: nah.

Are they any good: Yeah they're fine. I mean, if like me you still own baggy jean shorts because you don't know what else to wear during the summer, this band will probably make you feel happy. On the other hand there is literally nothing to distinguish them from anyone else from this genre and time period. I really feel like I am listening to an album by a different band when I listen to this. I can't put my finger on who, but I sure liked them a lot at one time. Listening to them is an odd act of nostalgia, listening to music from your youth that you never actually listened to at the time.

I'm not sure if i am keeping this. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I just know some day I am going to want to go on a pop punk binge and I will get through all my standards and wish I had more. That is when I will pull this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment